LIFE, ROMANCE AND ALL THOSE OTHER THINGS

Share,Talk, Read and Write about Life, Romance, Flying and other things.....

Monday 13 February 2017

Review: Mists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar (Goodreads Author)

Mists of the SerengetiMists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book has been on my mind long after I finished reading the last page.....something like over a week ago. I've read some good and some great books and even some incredible ones too.
 photo sherlock-reading_zpsr0r4b9rl.gif
But this one - Mists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar is one of those timeless ones...a story that spoke directly to my soul. It evoked images, memories and so many emotions in me. A book that has stayed with you forever from the moment you put it down and no matter how much you try...it's like the author's words were speaking for me....
 photo eye1_zpsgg7spunv.jpg
Unique. Riveting. Haunting. Lyrical
So often a scene from book pops into my head and I find myself thinking about the story over and over again.

Having read so many reviews about this book, which have given loads of information on it, I have, therefore, decided to give more of my feelings on the story. What did I experienced reading this beautiful, powerful, emotional, poignant and breath-taking story of how a tragic moment brings two broken people together, under the most extraordinary circumstances and places, who find redemption, love and healing.
 photo Masai_JN110114-065_4x5_zpsrbqufimi.jpg
WHAT WAS IT ABOUT MISTS OF THE SERENGETI THAT MADE IT SUCH AN UNIQUE EXPERIENCE FOR ME?

Beautiful and Powerful Prose: The words resonate with so many meanings.
“Sometimes we need to be jarred out of our own reality. We base so much of ourselves on other people’s perceptions of us. We live for the compliments, the approval, the applause. But what we really need is a grand, spine-chilling encounter with ourselves to believe we’re freaking magical. And that’s the best kind of believing, because no one can unsay it or take it away from you.
 photo 8a93e74a3a6fc79f75d67e89f71f62d3_zpscjfypmmg.jpg
They evoked images, memories and so many emotions to me.

The Story: The complexity, depth, profundity and multi-layers that make you think about it again when you least expect.
“We don’t always understand the things we do. We just do them and hope we’ll feel better.”
Reminded me of some many things about life that have happened to me....
 photo BW-Lioness-and-cub-set-against-kopie-studded-savanah-and-looming-storm-clouds-Seronera-Serengeti-Tanzania_zpsfiscaacm.jpg
The plight of the ostracizing of a certain group of people in Tanzania as well as some of history of the Masai people, is seamlessly woven into the story and fits in without it becoming the focal point in the story.
It's a story about love, loyalty, power, loss and fighting for survival.

The characters: Sympathetic characters that you care about, that you're rooting for, that you want them to win, that you want for them to overcome the challenges in their lives.

Jack Warden, a divorced coffee farmer in Tanzania and Rodel Emmerson, schoolteacher from England. Both flawed. Both struggling with their own demons, imperfections, traumas, obsessions and the amazing way we see the internal and external changes in the conflicting situations they experience that pushes them into reaching their dreams and goals.
 photo willbryant-kiss_zpsbxgweoue.gif
"This is what it looks like when you wander somewhere between sand and stardust, and meet a piece of yourself in someone else."
.
Characters that are human, real life, with their own insecurities and frailties. I adored Goma, Jack's grandmother
 photo Tanzania-400x300_zpso1xiywcb.jpg
and Bahati, the family friend, who shines through the pages. The fragility and strength of the albino children.

The African Setting:
 photo 1883853_Serangeti_Sunrise_3_zpsjjxkobze.jpg
I loved the evocative descriptions of Tanzania and the Serengeti. I have visited both places and the author brought to life the sense of place and time so incredibly well.
 photo 9e21ee42-8549-4855-844a-c0ce8295382a_zpsikupdsax.jpg
The Epilogue: Sad. Raw. Totally unexpected. It just blew me away!!

I was inspired. Reminded me again that anything is possible. You can reach amazing heights even when you're thinking that all is dark around you.

For me, Mists of the Serengeti, was a masterpiece in storytelling.

I will end my review thus:
"YOU KNOW WHAT'S HEARTBREAKING?
IT'S NOT WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU, OR WHEN LIFE TURNS OUT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM
WHAT YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD BE.

WHAT'S HEARTBREAKING IS WHEN YOU DON'T GET BACK UP, WHEN YOU DON'T CARE ENOUGH GO PICK
UP THE MILLION BROKEN PIECES OF YOU THAT ARE SCREAMING TO BE PUT BACK TOGETHER,
AND YOU JUST LIE THERE, LISTENING TO A SHATTERED CHORUS OF YOURSELF."
 photo tumblr_o8o31bhu5s1t2m0pmo1_500_zpsevzrf7js.gif


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment