LIFE, ROMANCE AND ALL THOSE OTHER THINGS

Share,Talk, Read and Write about Life, Romance, Flying and other things.....

Friday 21 November 2014

Review: Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires #1) by Chloe Neill

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires #1)Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am always on the look-out for a good urban fantasy/vampire series, so when one of my good GR friends recommended Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires Series to me, I decided to give it a try.

Some Girls Bite is the first novel of the series and what I discovered is this author’s debut novel.

A fresh new take on vampires….they are now out of the “closet”…..it’s official….vampires have announced their existence to humans…twelve vampire houses set up in the USA….and this series tells the adventures of Chicago graduate student, Merit…yes, like Rhianna, Madonna, Pink, etc…..goes by one name only…her other names remain a mystery throughout the story….. who is attacked by a rogue vampire and lucky for her, her human life is saved by the ultra master vampire, Ethan, who is in charge of Cadogan House, situated in an upper class suburb of Chicago!!! Hey, these are rich and wealthy vampires…..and of course, the house is so totally fab… photo tumblr_m399sdOUkC1qkzij1o1_500_zps43ac447b.jpg
What a perfect setting…..windy, cold and dark with loads of things going bump into the night…… photo download_zps7662e2ce.jpg

Merit is a normal woman, quite happy with her life as a student despite being in not good terms with her beyond rich and well-known family….
 photo Holloway_C_D_zps48949d0a.jpg

but waking up as a vampire…is so not for her… she’s not exactly thrilled being turned into a vamp…..
“I swore an oath. I’m not happy to be a vampire. It’s not the life I’d have picked. But it’s mine now, and I’ll honor that.”
but she has two choices in her new “undead” life…either become a member of Cadogan House or face being ostracized by all vampires and become a rogue…which is literally a life so not a good option……WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY MERIT!!!! Immortality and you get to become a kick-ass, Katanga sword-wielding Sentinel with a wardrobe to die for…….
 photo somgirlsbite_neill_zpsa114afba.jpg
…really, I will trade places with you!!!!!! All that and I get the most gorgeous, sexy, mysterious and hot Ethan Sullivan as my master and liege!!!!
 photo ded6790e9b805d36cb72f48eaadbc0ff_zps51bfd240.jpg
How can Merit even think twice about her new found life!!!! What can be hard about having some kind of sizzling connection to Ethan….no, this is unreal….Merit turns down becoming Ethan’s vamp lover!!!!!
“Stop. That was a mistake. It shouldn’t have happened."
"No?"
"No."
"I could offer you more.”
"What?”
"Power. Access. Rewards. You’d need be available only to me.”
"Are you asking me to be your mistress?”
"Yes.”
"Oh, my God.”
"Is that a yes?”
"No, Ethan, Jesus. Definitely not.”
I’m pulling my hair out….

Well, there’s no going back…Merit has to get with the “program”…..learning all about those weird vampires…
“Although security and warfare had never been my gig, vampire security was highly contextual and thus incredibly interesting. There were links to history (Vampires were screwed over yesterday!) and politics (House X screwed us over yesterday!), philosophy (Why do you think they screwed us over yesterday?) and ethics (If we didn’t bite, would they have screwed us over yesterday?), and, of course, strategy (How did they screw us over? How can we keep them from screwing us over again or, better yet, screw them over first?).”
…and no way is she going to be some wimp!!
“ “I'm just warning you, I'm probably going to be a total hard-ass vamp."
Allright, that’s good…nothing more exciting than a vamp star….
So things start “hotting” up in Chicago…a vampire kills two young women and just misses Merit..remember, she’s saved by Ethan….and the evidence left at the crime scenes point to a member of the vampire houses….and Merit, after receiving her training as a rogue vampire slayer and protector of her master and his house, goes on a tracking trip to bring the bad guys down!!!!!!

Her new life is totally filled up during the hours of darkness…yes these vampires only come out at night!...training, studying, checking out her new wardrobe that is acceptable in the vampire world…like Armani…yes Armani photo bf96ed6c2d800f3c1b0733a8d70771ce_zpsa97cf1d0.jpg…ooh, these vampires have a taste for the good things in life!!!!!!..wait, let me not digress….Merit’s new life also includes lots of chats and yacks with her best friend Mallory,  photo 1503804-bigthumbnail_zpscf411ff2.jpg, yes, she has blue hair and wait for it……(view spoiler) These two BFF’S forever are very close and like talking about a lot of things….
“You’re so immature.” “Blue hair. That’s all I’m saying.” “Bite me, dead girl.” I showed fang and winked at her. “Don’t tempt me, witch.”

Mallory snorted and walked out of the kitchen, calling out, "Yeah, well, you've got a purple marshmallow on your chin, hard-ass vamp.”
An engaging fast-paced plot, filled quirky and entertaining characters, humor, drama, romantic entanglements and some witty and funny dialogue, it proved to me quite an enjoyable read.

If there is one thing that I was irritated by – Merit & Mallory felt like some 18 year olds instead of being in their late twenties…some of the things they did and said felt somewhat immature and unrealistic. But I still found them both quite appealing!!!!

My favorite scene – when Merit and her friends take Ethan to a diner and feast on hot dogs……
 photo 18g5egy5gms00gif_zpsgdxpsxc8.gif


“Sullivan, just pick it up."
"My way is more genteel."
"Your way is more tight ass."
"Your respect for me, Sentinel, is astounding."
"I'd respect you more if you took a bite of that dog."
"You don't respect me any."
"Like I said, I'd respect you more. More than none.”
So, will I continue with this series??? Yes, definitely!!!!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment