LIFE, ROMANCE AND ALL THOSE OTHER THINGS

Share,Talk, Read and Write about Life, Romance, Flying and other things.....

Wednesday 8 February 2012

REVIEW: DEFENDING HIS OWN by BEVERLY BARTON

Defending His Own  (The Protectors, #4) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, No. 670)
I can’t make up my mind if I like this author’s books. The first book of hers I read was Killing Her Softly which I enjoyed. I then started reading Dead by Morning which I am struggling to finish….more about that when I get to the last page and then I will do a full review. Decided to switch to The Protectors which I thought was a full length novel. Imagine my surprise to discover it’s a Mills & Boon special (I wasn’t ever aware she had been a Silhouette writer!!!! – not that I have some favorite authors who have written for them!!!!), that includes 2 stories – this time I did not give up, thought it did take a bit of time for me to get to the end. 

What I like and didn’t like about the 1st story – Defending His Own. 

1 This book was first released in 1995 by Silhouette and at times it found some things a bit outdated….like the hero using his “cellular” fone 
2 Sweet story of a plain teenager, Deborah Vaughn who has a crush on the local bad boy, Ashe McLaughlin. She loses her virginity to him, he is chased out of town by her rich father, she is left pregnant, she doesn’t tell him……the usual secret baby story 
3 After 10 years Ashe is asked by her mother to protect Deborah who is a witness to a murder and is being threatened with her life 
4 Misunderstandings, secrets abound…..he believes that Deborah betrayed him when he was forced to leave his hometown and family. She hates him because he told her he didn’t love her and did not want to tell him that he had a son (which by the way is passed off as her brother…..talk about complications!!!) because of her father’s decision of either her giving up the baby for adoption or passing it off has her mother’s son…… boy that scenario would never work these days!!!!!!! 
5 I liked the son, Allen…..what a sassy and charming character….my favorite….also Deborah’s mom…in fact there are quite a few interesting characters in the story….Ashe’s grandmother, his cousin….too many characters to include here 
6 Some of the dialogue was a bit “old” and how many times did Ashe have to use the word ‘honey”!!!! 
7 A few twists in the story but they never really grabbed me 
8 I liked Deborah….she’s an interesting heroine….strong, loyal, loving and an amazing sense of responsibility to her entire family….really, she owns a company that keeps not only her mother and son but her awful, lazy, wastrel cousin Whitney 
9 Apart from the constant “honey, honey” I grew to like Ashe 
10 Of course there is a HEA and enjoyed the epilogue….knowing that the whole family finds love and happiness together 

PS…I could not find the cover of the edition I have…..I wonder why????? 

Would I read another book by this author???? Yes, they remind me a bit of the older Mills & Boon novels I read in the past. 
I am now determined to read more of her books in the different series that she has written. 

No comments:

Post a Comment