LIFE, ROMANCE AND ALL THOSE OTHER THINGS

Share,Talk, Read and Write about Life, Romance, Flying and other things.....

Friday 23 December 2011

REVIEW: DARK PERIL by CHRISTINE FEEHAN

Dark Peril by Christine Feehan
I am a fan of all Christine Feehan’s books – I have her whole series collection in my bookcase – The Drake Sisters, Sisters of the Heart, Ghostwalkers, Leopard Series and my most favorite the Dark Series. 

I look forward to every book that comes out and I was over the moon when Dark Peril came out…which continued the story of Dominic a Carpathian from the Dragonseeker, bloodline, who had in the climax ending of Dark Slayer ingested tainted vampire blood which would identify him as a vampire to enable him infiltrate the vampire camp to find what their plan against the Carpathians and pass the information to the Prince. It was basically a suicide mission but Dominic was tired of not being able to see in colors and feel any emotions and giving up ever finding his lifemate so this would be something he could do for his people before he went into the light to die. 

I was so excited that the first thing I did when I arrived home was to open the first page…but halfway through the book my interest began to wane….horrors of horrors…I even skipped some pages….What was going on???? Chapter I thought…where is this story going???? 

Okay this is Dominic and Solange Sangria, a jaguar shape shifter living in the jungles of Brazil who appeared in previous books – she’s the cousin of Juliette who is Riordan de la Cruz’s lifemate. She's a strong, scarred and fights to save the lives of other jaguar women that are being relentlessly tortured and killed by the jaguar men led by her father Broderick Sangria, the cruel and evil royal blooded jaguar who had killer her entire family when she was a young girl. She is determined in her quest to kill him even if it means her death. 

Both have been sharing dreams of each other and never believed that either existed. When they finally meet Dominic realizes that he at long lost has found his lifemate….but can they ever be together…after all he knows his going into his death when he completes his mission. Will they overcome their obstacles and find true love and their HEA?? 

What did I like about it? 
*I admired Solange’s bravery and strength and how she wanted to save the jaguar women. Not afraid to face the obstacles in her life 
*How she gained the confidence in her femininity….she had always seen herself as a women who cared nothing about her soft and gentle side 
*Having felt distrust and almost a hatred for men she begins to realize that not all men are like the cruel and wicked jaguar men and vampires she has encountered in her life 
*She has a sense of humor…fun!!!!! Dominic does not want to make love to her…she’s tired of being a virgin….because he’s afraid his tainted blood may hurt her…so what does she think up???? Find him a condom…..and I can finally discover what sex is really like!!!!! And her love for the dragonseeker robe that suddenly materialized out of nowhere….thanks to Dominic’s magic of course!!!!! 
*Giving her blood to Zacarias de la Cruz, the brother of her cousin’s lifemate Riordan…that scene is absolutely awesome….the courage she has when she tries to help Zacharias as he dangerously get so so close to changing into a vampire….offering him her love and with her words and almost a sense of love which brings him back to reality. Incredible 
*Love Zacharias de la Cruz…can’t wait for his story….I wonder if Margareta, the human who is attacked by the vampires and is near death is to be his lifemate. I hope so… 
*The jungle settings are really fabulous. Their steamy cave deep in the jungle, where they spend most of their time… 
*Ah…a mention of Josef….that crazy teen from Dark Symphony….I wondered when he would appear again…alas only a mention…he’s the hacker who will destroy all the vampire Intel after Dominic sends him the details and plans…I hope he appears in future books. 
*The 
*Amazing ending…..not going to spoil it for those who have not read the book…but it’s totally unexpected….I 'm sure we will hear more about this phenomena ….BUT…………. 

And what didn’t I like about it? 
*Most of the book is about their relationship…which in itself not a bad thing…but it just went on and on…”No I can’t make you my lifemate…it’s too dangerous…”I want to do it with you” ….”Such a beautiful man”…..”I can’t let him see my body….it’s so ugly…I am not feminine enough for him”,, and on and on….too much repetition. 

*Most of the book takes place in the cave and there is not much about the secondary characters….a few pages of fighting the jaguars, killing some vampires and then back to the cave. I would have liked more interaction with characters like Mary Anne, Manolito de la Cruz’s lifemate who I fell in love with in Dark Possession, more of Juliette and her sister Jasmine. Just a few scenes with the jaguar people and Zacarias de la Cruz. I love meeting up with the characters I have met in previous books but here it’s all about Dominic and Solange. Most of the story focus on them and everything else is a quick scene which occurs for a short time and then….you’re back in the cave…and the two of them again!!! The story felt rushed…no real build-up to anything. 

*The ending….it kind of ends suddenly…..they kill off the vampires, she begs him to save a possessed kitten…and voila…suddenly next page…THE END!!!!! 

*The fact that Dominic had the tainted parasitic blood in him and he was bent on finishing his quest , it was almost forgotten during most of the book….I did not sense the importance of him sacrificing himself….once he meets his lifemate…that’s it…..nothing else matters. 
*Loved the cover….gorgeous male….even though that’s not how I pictured Dominic in my head. 
I am not saying this is a bad book…..it’s just not one of my favorites in this series and I don’t think I will read it again…well maybe in a few years to come….not like I have read some of the previous books 3 or 4 times…. 

So…am I going to buy the next book? Of course!!!! The Carpathians are part of my family and I will continue reading the next books that are published. Christine Feehan is a brilliant writer with an incredible imagination and style and I will continue building up my library with her future books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment